Friday, June 29, 2012

Massive Art Update Part 9: L5R The Lesson of Earth

Welcome to the final installment of the Massive Update. As I said in my last post I saved the best for last. This is my piece The Lesson of Earth for the L5R expansion The Shadow's Embrace. This might seem familiar as I posted the studies for this piece when I first announced my massive update. This piece is by far one of my favorites that I had done for L5R. I really feel like I hit a stride with my painting on this one. The way I composed the piece, the gestures, and the little details like the cobble stone floor. It was definitely a breakthrough piece for me. And I was so excited that I had the opportunity to paint some Naga (snake people) in this piece. Unfortunately as you can tell by the finished card a lot of the parts I liked ended up getting cropped off. I have a feeling that this was do to the fact that when the whole piece shrunk down the important storytelling elements of the stone skin protecting the main figure got lost. And if it had to get cropped for the sake of story then so be it, the narrative must come first. But at least now I can show off the piece and what I love about it.

Sadly that will be the last major art update for a little while as everything else is still under NDA. But fear not in the next few days I will have some exciting news. About a new personal non art related project I am starting which will consist of a brand new blog. I hope your excited cause I know I am.

No comments: