Monday, February 28, 2011

Worm Creature Preliminary Sketches

I have been extremely busy as of late and unfortunately have not been able to work on my worm illustration. Thus I figured this was a good opportunity to show some of my preliminary sketches and such that I worked up.

The sketch at the top of the sketch page was a simple drawing I did for fun in my sketchbook while I was watching my friend play Magna Carta. Which is an awesome game by the way. The sketch at the bottom is a more refined idea that went on to become the final drawing.

The other image is of a small sculpt I made for the final painting. As you can see in the picture I used a small flashlight to help me get the lighting that I will need for the fireball coming out of its mouth.

Hopefully I will get some time soon to finish up this piece. As soon as I do I will make sure to post it.

2 comments:

wren said...

Love this post. I've been experimenting with maquettes for illustrations as well (with mixed success). I can see how this simple sculpy mock up with the light can really propel your concept for this piece. I can't wait to see it progress.

Unknown said...

Yeah I find that just the small amount of sculpting can really help. Especially since my work relies so much upon lighting.

And I can not wait to show more of the progress to this, once I can find some time to actually work on it.